Norma => Mon & Wed => noon to 5pm
Tues & Thurs – 9am to 2pm
Eli => Eli will be working Sunday to Thursday this week. They will be taking some Fridays off as Study leave this winter to do an online course on adaptive leadership. They are happy to discuss both the course itself and the impact on working days.
- Please let Eli know if there is anyone you think they should call or visit.
- Eli is trying to get to know members of the congregation and they would love to meet with you in your homes, their office, or a favourite coffee shop. They are hoping to meet with a few people each week.
Sunday, February 5, 2023 – Fifth after Epiphany with communion
Happy Groundhog Day everyone. I gather we can expect an early Spring, but I’m sort of worried about Quebec - their Groundhog died last night. I don’t know what that means.
We continue with the Sermon on the Mount this week. Jesus presents his ‘platform’. He has just challenged conventional wisdom with the Beatitudes, and then tells his followers that we are supposed to stand out and make wherever we are better. Matthew 5:13-16
We are supposed to be the light of the world and a city on a hill and the salt of the world. Salt brings out the natural flavour of food. How do we help the people around us be the best version of themselves?
If we really live by the beatitudes, we will stand out as we support the spiritually poor, the meek, and the persecuted. Our Hebrew prophet for the day (Isaiah 58:1-9a) addresses people who think that by being religious they will earn God’s favour, but the prophet tells them they need to treat their workers well, feed the hungry and stand up for the oppressed - the same beatitude values Jesus was talking about.
With the kids we will talk about how salt makes things taste more like themselves. If kids are coming who have any allergies, please let me know.
(Rev) Eli Carter-Morgan (they/them)
Spirit West United Church
Proud to share the land through Treaty 6
Faith Exploration - Explore big questions – What do we mean when we say God, Who was/is Jesus and how does he matter? What is the Bible and how should it influence us? What are your big questions? The Study Group open to anyone wherever you are on your faith journey. This can lead to Confirmation or Re-Affirmation of faith. Please Let Eli know if you are interested.
Tentative Schedule - after Church/Lunch on Sunday
- March 5 – God
- March 12 – Jesus
- March 19 – The Spirit and the Church
- March 26 – Live with respect in Creation
- April 2 – Seek Justice, Resist Evil
DATES TO REMEMBER:
- Annual Congregational Budget Meeting – Feb 26 after the worship service
- Annual Congregational Meeting – Mar 12 after the worship service
EVENTS Happening in the CHURCH BUILDING Feb 2 to 8, 2023
- Thurs, Feb 3, 7-8:30pm – choir practice 7-8:30pm
- Fri, Feb 4, 6-7pm – Church of Christ technical training
- Mon, Feb 6, 2-3pm - Membership Committee meeting
- Mon, Feb 6, 6-8pm – Brownies
- Tues, Feb 7, 6-9pm – Church of Christ setup
- Wed, Feb 8, 7-10pm – Church of Christ service
LEADERS FOR Feb 5
- Hospitality Team – Doyle – Daphne & Don, Tony
- Scripture Reader – Diane L
- Projectionist – Norma B
LEADERS FOR Feb 12
- Hospitality Team – Hemmerling – Georgina, Doreen, Rhea, Glenna
- Scripture Reader – Paul F
- Projectionist – Rebecca W
WOMEN’S GROUP LUNCH AND ANNUAL MEETING TBD
The annual Women’s Group Lunch and AGM is being planned now. More information will be coming soon!
CONGREGATIONAL MEETINGS – Feb 26 and Mar 12
There will be a Congregational Budget Meeting following the Service on Sun, Feb 26. At this time we will review and approve the 2023 budget for Spirit West. Then there will be a Congregation Meeting following the Service on Sun, Mar 12 to review, through the Annual Reports, the mission and ministry of the Spirit West in 2022. We will also make such decisions as will determine our vision for the Congregation in 2023. You attendance and input at both these meetings is greatly desired.
YouTube Videos Worship Services – February 5 – also, in person worship service
To watch online, you will need to go to YouTube and google “Spirit West United Church”. This action will bring you to the Spirit West United Church YouTube page.
SPIRIT WEST PRAYER CHAIN
Prayer is important. We know that people face challenges and difficulties and we cannot forget them. Our Prayer Chain continues to be active. If you have a prayer request, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. These requests will be shared regularly with the prayer chain and may form part of the Prayers of the People in our Sunday Worship.
Please remember to have people removed from the prayer chain if the prayers are no longer needed.
YOUR BOTTLES FOR THE CHURCH
You may have bottles piling up for recycling. You can bring them to the church (or you can call for pick up). If you want to bring your bottles (and any other recyclable beverage containers) in during our office hours and put them directly in the Bottle Shed (by the garage), give us a call, and we can have the shed open for you. All money raised from the return of bottles goes towards paying down the principal and interest on our mortgage.
- We can accept donations by eTransfer. The contact name for the eTransfer is Spirit West United Church, and the email address is email@example.com . If you include a security question with your eTransfer, please notify Norma at the church office by phone or email of the answer.
- And remember that if you are not on PAR(Pre-Authorized Remittance) or even if you are , you can mail in cheques to the church office (Spirit West United Church, 7003 – 199 St. NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8, include your envelope number if you have one.)
- You can drop off your offering/donation in the offering plate just inside the front doors or place it in the mailbox.
- You can also donate online by checking out the online donation option on our website spiritwest.org and click on the Donate tab in the navigation bar.
SPIRIT WEST ONLINE!
Facebook: Spirit West United Church and Friends of Spirit West Outreach
YouTube: Spirt West United Church, Edmonton
Spirit West United Church
7003 - 199st.NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8
phone: (780) 481-1406