May the abundance of God’s blessings surround you all.
I’m starting to notice the nights getting shorter, so perhaps it’s time we talk about the blessings of night time.
At night, Nicodemus sneaks out to meet Jesus. (John 3:1-7) He’s curious, even excited about the possibility of Jesus’ vision of the Kingdom of God, but he may be a bit afraid of what he has to loose. He is a religious leader and needs to seem respectable, and Jesus already has a reputation for upsetting the status quo.
Please note, Nicodemus and Jesus are the same religion. This might look like me sneaking out at night to hear what Paul Walfal or Helen Reed have to say.
Jesus says that you have to hold loosely to all your power and privilege, in fact, become like a child, reborn to understand God’s vision.
We have the privilege of hosting the Church of Jesus Christ for two worship services a week. If you come in while they are set up, there are chairs for over 200 people. Members of our congregation ask how we could grow to be that big.
If I knew the answer and had the ability to make it so I would, but I would suggest that perhaps we need to be reborn as well. Christianity is growing in the global South and East. What is God doing there? How can we learn from them about what it means to be the church?
The promise of God to continue to bless the earth for generations stretching far into the future comes from deep in the past, and with the children we'll be talking about God's promise to Abraham and Sarah.
Our study group examining big faith questions starts this Sunday after church and enough time to run out and grab a bag lunch(12:30 ish) looking at the question "What do we mean when we say God?" Repeat experience on Wednesday afternoon at 2.
(Rev) Eli Carter-Morgan (they/them)
Spirit West United Church
Proud to share the land through Treaty 6
Faith Exploration - Explore big questions – What do we mean when we say God, Who was/is Jesus and how does he matter? What is the Bible and how should it influence us? What are your big questions? The Study Group open to anyone wherever you are on your faith journey. This can lead to Confirmation or Re-Affirmation of faith. Please Let Eli know if you are interested.
Tentative Schedule - after Church/Lunch on Sunday and on Wednesday afternoons at 2pm
- March 5, 8 – God
- March 15, 19 – Jesus
- March 22, 26 – The Spirit and the Church
- March 29, April 2 – Live with respect in Creation
- April 12, 16 – Seek Justice, Resist Evil
- April 19, 23 – Life, Death, Life beyond Death
MEN’S BREAKFAST, 8:30 AM. Sat, March 18
Gather with other men of the congregation in the Lower Hall for fellowship and a breakfast of pancakes, sausages and eggs. Come a few minutes early and help cook if you would like. All men welcome!
WOMEN’S GROUP LUNCH and ANNUAL MEETING
The Spirit West Women’s lunch and annual meeting will be held on Saturday, March 18 at 11:30am at the Boston Pizza at 17002 – 90 ave. This is just north of West Edmonton Mall. Access is easy and there is plenty of parking. Please sign up on the sheet by the office or call the church office at 780-481-1406.
CONGREGATIONAL MEETING – Mar 12
There will be a Congregation Meeting following the Service on Sun, Mar 12 to review, through the Annual Reports, the mission and ministry of the Spirit West in 2022. We will also make such decisions as will determine our vision for the Congregation in 2023. You attendance and input at both these meetings is greatly desired.
DATES TO REMEMBER:
- Daylight Savings Time begins – spring ahead 1 hour – 2am, Sun, March 12
- Congregational Meeting – Sun, Mar 12 after the worship service
- Women’s Group Lunch and AGM – 11:30 am, Sat, March 18
- Men’s Breakfast – 8:30am, Sat, March 18
EVENTS Happening in the CHURCH BUILDING March 6 to 11, 2023
- Mon, March 6 – 6-8pm - Brownies
- Tues, March 7, 6-7pm – set up for Church of Christ service (assuming the church is not rented to another group)
- Wed, March 8, 7-10pm – Church of Christ service
- Thurs, March 9, 7-8:30pm – choir practice 7-8:30pm
- Fri, March 10, 6-7pm – set up for Church of Christ service (assuming the church is not rented to another group)
- Sat, March 11, 7-10pm – Church of Christ service
LEADERS for March 5
- Hospitality Team – Doyle – Don & Daphne, Tony, Dave & Cathy
- Scripture Reader – Peter K
- Projectionist – Bruce C
LEADERS for March 12
- Hospitality Team – Ludlow – Diane, Norma, Carol & Bruce
- Scripture Reader – Sheila Hoy
- Projectionist – Rebecca W
YouTube Videos Worship Services – February 26 – also, in person worship service
To watch online, you will need to go to YouTube and google “Spirit West United Church”.
This action will bring you to the Spirit West United Church YouTube page.
SPIRIT WEST PRAYER CHAIN
Prayer is important. We know that people face challenges and difficulties and we cannot forget them. Our Prayer Chain continues to be active. If you have a prayer request, please send it to email@example.com. These requests will be shared regularly with the prayer chain and may form part of the Prayers of the People in our Sunday Worship.
Please remember to have people removed from the prayer chain if the prayers are no longer needed.
YOUR BOTTLES FOR THE CHURCH
You may have bottles piling up for recycling. You can bring them to the church (or you can call for pick up). If you want to bring your bottles (and any other recyclable beverage containers) in during our office hours and put them directly in the Bottle Shed (by the garage), give us a call, and we can have the shed open for you. All money raised from the return of bottles goes towards paying down the principal and interest on our mortgage.
- We can accept donations by eTransfer. The contact name for the eTransfer is Spirit West United Church, and the email address is firstname.lastname@example.org . If you include a security question with your eTransfer, please notify Norma at the church office by phone or email of the answer.
- And remember that if you are not on PAR(Pre-Authorized Remittance) or even if you are , you can mail in cheques to the church office (Spirit West United Church, 7003 – 199 St. NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8, include your envelope number if you have one.)
- You can drop off your offering/donation in the offering plate just inside the front doors or place it in the mailbox.
- You can also donate online by checking out the online donation option on our website spiritwest.org and click on the Donate tab in the navigation bar.
SPIRIT WEST ONLINE!
Facebook: Spirit West United Church and Friends of Spirit West Outreach
YouTube: Spirt West United Church, Edmonton
Office Hours for March 6 to 11, 2023
Norma => Wed => noon to 5pm
Tues & Thurs – 9:30 am to 2:30 pm
Eli => Eli will be working Sunday to Thursday this week. They will be taking some Fridays off as Study leave this winter to do an online course on adaptive leadership. They are happy to discuss both the course itself and the impact on working days.
- Please let Eli know if there is anyone you think they should call or visit.
- Eli is trying to get to know members of the congregation and they would love to meet with you in your homes, their office, or a favourite coffee shop. They are hoping to meet with a few people each week.
Spirit West United Church
7003 - 199st.NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8
phone: (780) 481-1406