YouTube Videos Worship Services – February 27 (no in-person service)
To watch online, you will need to:
- click on this link https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrJQ5ljHCSPBV3F8TmIhvVA OR
- go to YouTube and google Spirit West United Church.
The service for this Sunday will be available early Sunday morning.
Sunday, February 27, 2022 – Transfiguration Sunday
Where do we experience the holy? How do we open ourselves to the mystery and wonder of God?
These are the readings we will hear in this week’s worship service, for Transfiguration Sunday, the last Sunday in the Season after Epiphany. We remember when the first disciples of Jesus were given a glimpse of the glory of God, an encounter with the holy.
• From the Torah: Exodus 34:29-35 (Moses and the Tablets of the Covenant)
The Book of Exodus is the story of the people of Israel being led out of slavery in Egypt to be restored to the Promised Land, some 15 centuries before Jesus. The focal point of the book is the covenant God makes with the people at Mount Sinai. Today’s reading describes how, after receiving the Ten Commandments, Moses is physically changed by his encounter with the holy.
• From the Gospels: Luke 9:28-36 (The Transfiguration of Jesus)
The Transfiguration takes place on a mountain in Galilee, just after Jesus predicts his suffering and death for the first time. From here, Jesus proceeds towards Jerusalem, and the crucifixion.
On the mountaintop, three disciples see Jesus conversing with Moses and Elijah. In Hebrew tradition, Moses represents the Law, and Elijah is the forerunner of the Messiah.
If you have time, read some of the context before and after, but particularly verses 37 to 43.
2022 OFFERING ENVELOPES
For those of you who use the offering envelopes, they are now available at the church. You can come pick them up during office hours. Or, if you prefer, we can have yours delivered or mailed to you. Just let me know!
SPIRIT WEST PRAYER CHAIN
Prayer is important. We know that people still face challenges and difficulties not related to Covid-19, and we cannot forget them. Our Prayer Chain continues to be active. If you have a prayer request, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. These requests will be shared regularly with the prayer chain and may form part of the Prayers of the People in our Sunday Worship.
Please remember to have people removed from the prayer chain if the prayers are no longer needed.
YOUR BOTTLES FOR THE CHURCH
You may have bottles piling up for recycling. You can bring them to the church (or you can call for pick up). If you want to bring your bottles (and any other recyclable beverage containers) in during our office hours and put them directly in the Bottle Shed (by the garage), give us a call, and we can have the shed open for you. All money raised from the return of bottles goes towards paying down the principal and interest on our mortgage.
We can now accept donations by eTransfer. The contact name for the eTransfer is Spirit West United Church, and the email address is email@example.com . If you include a security question with your eTransfer, please notify Norma at the church office by phone or email.
- And remember that if you are not on PAR(Pre-Authorized Remittance), you can also mail in cheques to the church office (Spirit West United Church, 7003 – 199 St. NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8, include your envelope number if you have one.)
- The church office is open and you can drop off your offering/donation in the offering plate just inside the front doors.
- You can also donate online by checking out the online donation option on our website spiritwest.org and click on the Donate tab in the navigation bar.
SPIRIT WEST ONLINE!
Facebook: Spirit West United Church and Friends of Spirit West Outreach
YouTube: Spirt West United Church, Edmonton
The Spirit West Church office remains open.
- Stuart => 9:30am to 2:30pm, Tuesday and Thursday
- Norma => Noon to 5:00pm, Monday to Thursday
Spirit West United Church
7003 - 199st.NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8
phone: (780) 481-1406