September is very close and we have done some planning for the fall. Please check out the item on FAITH FORMATION AND EDUCATION
You may have noticed that the focus of the lectionary readings over the past few weeks has been the effect that the Gospel has on our life and the way we live it. This focus continues this week with readings that speak to our priorities and the contrast between short term goals and those that are more long term. Of course, in the biblical understanding long term can mean eternal. I am going to look at an analogy between the way we set priorities and the societal pressure to “upgrade.” What has happened to “built to last.” Even our relationships seem to be disposable. Have you been “un-friended?” How does our faith speak to our priorities?
The readings for Sunday are Jeremiah 2: 4-13 and Luke 14 :1, 7-14. In the Time for All Ages I will talk about, “But it Broke” The sermon title is “Built to Last.”
CHILDREN AT CHURCH DURING THE SUMMER
Although the Sunday School has ended for the season, children are still welcome at church! We will have Activity Packs (look for the maroon nylon cases at the welcome table) which children can explore either in the sanctuary or in the lounge
See the note in the following item about the start of Sunday School.
FAITH FORMATION AND EDUCATION Fall Programs
Although there were not a lot of people at the planning meeting, we did make some plans.
- Sunday School: September 11 will be our Welcome Back Sunday. There will be a program for the children, on Sep 11 and there will be an opportunity to register your children for Sunday School. Sunday School “classes” will start on Sunday, Sep 18. We continue to look for adults who would like to teach or help with Sunday School. Look for a signup sheet at church.
- Messy Church: We hope to be able to offer this family centred church experience on Saturday, October 1 (Messy Thanks) and on Saturday, November 19 (Messy Advent). If you want to be involved look for the signup sheet.
- Adult Study: I will be offering the eight session video study called The Good Shepherd – A Theological Journey of 1,000 years in the fall, likely starting in early October. There will be a sheet where you can indicate what day/time you would prefer for the study. I am willing to present it at two different times each week.
EDMONTON PRESBYTERY ENGLISH AS A NEW LANGUAGE CLASSES – TEACHERS NEEDED.
One of the biggest challenges facing new Canadians is language. If you are coming to Canada as a refugee, you may not have had the opportunity to learn English prior to fleeing your homeland. This fall Edmonton Presbytery is continuing a pilot project of offering Conversational English Instruction to new Canadians. The project is looking for people with a good knowledge of English, an openness to new people and their struggles, and a willingness to commit to one or two mornings or evenings a week for eleven weeks starting on September 19. The curriculum is provided. Please contact Larry at the church for more information or to volunteer.
RIDE TO CHURCH?
From time to time we encounter people who would like to come to church at Spirit West, but are unable to because they do not have means of transportation. Can you give a ride? If you would be willing to make yourself available to provide a ride to church please call the church office. Do you need a ride? Would you like to come to church at Spirit West, but are unable to because you have no ride, please call the church office.
Spirit West Prayer Chain
The Spirit West Prayer Chain is a group of people who have committed to continue our prayers of concern from Sunday through the week. To be part of this ministry, email your request to email@example.com . You may also email a request for prayer to the same email address. If you would prefer to talk to someone, you can call the church office at 780-481-1406 to be directed to a person.
SPIRIT WEST ONLINE!
Our Website is at www.spiritwest.org .
Our Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/SpirtWestUnitedChurch
- Monday to Friday 9:30 – 2:30
- Norma => 9:30 am to 2:30 pm, Monday to Thursday
- Larry => 9:30 am to 2:30 pm, Tuesday to Friday
(Rev.) Larry K. Wright, CD, BA, MDiv
Spirit West United Church