- Norma => office closed at 5pm, Dec 22, reopening Jan 3, 2023 at 9am.
- Eli => Eli will be with their family until January 5, but is available by phone or text if an urgent matter arises. 780-298-4363
Sunday, December 22, 2022 – Christmas
Merry Christmas everyone! We have made it through the longest night, and the light of the world is being born in our midst in this mystical, magical season.
What is it about this story that has so captured our imaginations that we can’t help but pile on layers of meaning and mystery? In ancient legends, animals talked. Later, reindeer flew, and now elves move about our homes. We know the season is special, we can feel it and so we try to find ways to maintain the sense of awe.
Many of us have worn a bathrobe or a tinsel halo to be a shepherd or an angel in a Christmas play. In fact I would guess it’s the most acted out story of the Bible. Sure, there are Easter plays, and Noah’s ark play sets, but there are crèches, manger scenes, from the smallest tree ornaments to giant displays in public view all around the world.
I think perhaps we get so into Christmas because this is the story about how God becomes one of us. The story is so accessible anyone can find a character that feels a bit like themselves. God becomes one of us so we can learn how to be like God - not striving for power, but coming alongside us, breaking down, if only for one night, the barriers that keep us apart.
I’m really excited for our Christmas Eve service. There are lots of carols and three special musical offerings. The heart of the service is Jean Little’s Pippen the Christmas Pig. We will all have the opportunity to wear a headdress and play a part in creating a living crèche. We will light candles and sing Silent Night.
The church will be sent out to be the body of Christ in the world, and we will reconvene for worship January 8.
I will be available by call or text to 780-298-4363, and back in the office by January 5.
(Rev) Eli Carter-Morgan (they/them)
Spirit West United Church
Proud to share the land through Treaty 6
DATES TO REMEMBER:
- Christmas Eve Service – 6:30 pm, Sat, Dec. 24
- No service Dec 25, 2022 and Jan 1, 2023
- First service of 2023 – Jan. 8th at 10:30 am
LEADERS for January 8, 2023
- Scripture Reader – Sheila Hoy
- Projectionist – Norma Balcombe
- Hospitality Team – Hemmerling – Georgina, Doreen, Rhea, Glenna
YouTube Videos Worship Services – December 24 – also, in person worship service
To watch online, you will need to go to YouTube and google “Spirit West United Church”. This action will bring you to the Spirit West United Church YouTube page.
SPIRIT WEST PRAYER CHAIN
Prayer is important. We know that people face challenges and difficulties and we cannot forget them. Our Prayer Chain continues to be active. If you have a prayer request, please send it to email@example.com. These requests will be shared regularly with the prayer chain and may form part of the Prayers of the People in our Sunday Worship.
Please remember to have people removed from the prayer chain if the prayers are no longer needed.
YOUR BOTTLES FOR THE CHURCH
You may have bottles piling up for recycling. You can bring them to the church (or you can call for pick up). If you want to bring your bottles (and any other recyclable beverage containers) in during our office hours and put them directly in the Bottle Shed (by the garage), give us a call, and we can have the shed open for you. All money raised from the return of bottles goes towards paying down the principal and interest on our mortgage.
- We can accept donations by eTransfer. The contact name for the eTransfer is Spirit West United Church, and the email address is firstname.lastname@example.org . If you include a security question with your eTransfer, please notify Norma at the church office by phone or email of the answer.
- And remember that if you are not on PAR(Pre-Authorized Remittance) or even if you are , you can mail in cheques to the church office (Spirit West United Church, 7003 – 199 St. NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8, include your envelope number if you have one.)
- You can drop off your offering/donation in the offering plate just inside the front doors or place it in the mailbox.
- You can also donate online by checking out the online donation option on our website spiritwest.org and click on the Donate tab in the navigation bar.
SPIRIT WEST ONLINE!
Facebook: Spirit West United Church and Friends of Spirit West Outreach
YouTube: Spirt West United Church, Edmonton
Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Spirit West United Church
7003 - 199st.NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8
phone: (780) 481-1406