This Sunday, we will be led in worship by Rev. Larry Wright. Larry will also lead us in the sacrament of communion.
Larry will be discussing “seeing things differently” in his message. The Time for all Ages is called “But you didn’t say …”.
The scripture reading is:
- From the Law: Exodus 1:8 – 2:10
- From the Gospels: Matthew 16: 13-20
FOOD BANK APPEAL – in order to help the people displaced by the wild fires, we are appealing for donations of non-perishable food items which we will then take to the Food Bank. You can bring your items to the church on Sunday and during office hours. If you prefer, you can use the “donate now” button on the Food Banks’ web page to make a monetary donation.
SUNDAY SCHOOL - Sep 17th will be our Welcome Back Sunday. There will be a program for the children and an opportunity to register your children for Sunday School. We continue to look for adults who would like to teach or help with Sunday School. Please talk to Sheila H if you are interested.
APPLES, APPLES, APPLES - the church has an abundance of apples just waiting to be picked. There are crabs for jelly and others suitable for pies or eating (may be a bit tart yet). Everyone is welcome to come help themselves!
CRABAPPLE JELLY – made from Spirit West crabapples! Jars will be available at the back of the sanctuary. Free will donation. Thanks to Margery W for once again making this fundraiser possible for us!
Dates to Remember
- Meeting with PNCDC – 3:30pm, Aug 27, Spirit West
- Board Meeting, 7:00pm, Sept 27 via ZOOM
LEADERS for August 27
- Hospitality Team – Ludlow – Diane L, Norma, Bruce & Carol
- Scripture Reader – Paul Fujishige
- Greeter – Colleen F
- Projectionist – Norma B
LEADERS for September 3 (long weekend)
- Hospitality Team – Doyle – Don & Daphne, David & Cathy, Tony
- Scripture Reader – Bob Hoy
- Greeter – Diane H
- Projectionist – Rebecca W
EVENTS Happening in the CHURCH – August 28-Sep 2
- Tues, 6:30-7pm – set up for Church of Christ service
- Wed, 6-9pm – Church of Christ service
- Fri, 6-7pm - set up for Church of Christ service
- Sat, 7am – noon – Church of Christ service
SPIRIT WEST PRAYER CHAIN
Prayer is important. We know that people face challenges and difficulties and we cannot forget them. Our Prayer Chain continues to be active. If you have a prayer request, please send it to email@example.com. These requests will be shared regularly with the prayer chain and may form part of the Prayers of the People in our Sunday Worship.
Please remember to have people removed from the prayer chain if the prayers are no longer needed.
YOUR BOTTLES FOR THE CHURCH
You may have bottles piling up for recycling. You can bring them to the church (or you can call for pick up). If you want to bring your bottles (and any other recyclable beverage containers) in during our office hours and put them directly in the Bottle Shed (by the garage), give us a call, and we can have the shed open for you. All money raised from the return of bottles goes towards paying down the principal and interest on our mortgage.
- PAR - Pre-Authorized Remittance is a direct debit program run by the United Church of Canada. It allows people to support their church through an automatic monthly withdrawal from their bank account. It follows the giver's wishes (give to local, M&S, etc.). If you wish to go on PAR, please the fill out the form on the literature carousel and give the form and a cheque marked “void” to the church office. We will do the rest! If you wish to change your PAR amount, contact the office and we will make the change for you.
- We can accept donations by eTransfer. The contact name for the eTransfer is Spirit West United Church, and the email address is firstname.lastname@example.org . If you include a security question with your eTransfer, please notify Norma at the church office by phone or email of the answer.
- And remember that if you are not on PAR(Pre-Authorized Remittance) or even if you are , you can mail in cheques to the church office (Spirit West United Church, 7003 – 199 St. NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8, include your envelope number if you have one.)
- You can drop off your offering/donation in the offering plate just inside the front doors or place it in the mailbox.
- You can also donate online by checking out the online donation option on our website spiritwest.org and click on the Donate tab in the navigation bar.
SPIRIT WEST ONLINE!
Facebook: Spirit West United Church and Friends of Spirit West Outreach
YouTube: Spirt West United Church, Edmonton
Spirit West United Church
7003 - 199st.NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8
phone: (780) 481-1406