I know that this is a heavy time for Spirit West United Church, but I hope to help you see the amazing potential in this moment.
Let’s travel back to be with Jesus’ disciples five weeks after his death. He is risen and seen amongst them, and then he is gone, ascended into heaven.
What will Jesus’ legacy be? What will happen to his followers and his dream of the Kingdom of Heaven?
You can read the story in Acts 2:1-21
Travel again with me friends, 40 years into the future of the early church, when they were still a part of the synagogues. The elders in the church remember Jesus, and many still remember Peter and Paul who had both been martyred about 15 years prior.
The temple in Jerusalem has been the symbol of God’s presence with the Jewish people. Priests carried out ancient traditions. The temple had once before been destroyed, and now it was rebuilt and had served as a tourist attraction in Jerusalem, along with being the physical presence that indicated the spiritual presence of God.
The Roman army has surrounded Jerusalem, and after several years, flattened it. The word travelled quickly through the synagogues that the temple was destroyed. What would be the legacy of the people of God? How would their faith survive?
The physician (Luke) who had travelled with Paul researched and wrote down the gospels and the book of Acts in the wake of Jerusalem’s destruction. (Matthew was written at about the same time).
The Holy Spirit came upon the church in a new way in these times of transition, and we are still talking about it today.
44 years ago, some people came together with an idea for a United Church serving in Edmonton’s West end. In the next little while, you will be working with the Holy Spirit to decide what the legacy of that church will be.
OK, you read this far, now you get a joke from the internet
Thanks for Sending a Professional—Most unlikely person
As I was gathering my sermon, I couldn’t help thinking about a story of a little girl who was home alone and ill. She called her mother at work and told her, “Momma, I need you and I need you really bad.” This mother asked to get off work and frantically rushed down to the corner drug store to bring home some medicine. She notices it was beginning to rain, but she thought she would just “run in and out” to get the medicine for her sick little girl. When she came back to her car, she noticed something quite different. You guessed it…she had locked her keys in the car. She ran inside to get help from the employees but none of them seemed to know what to do and finally gave her a clothes hanger and said, “good luck!”
She ran back to her can, frantically trying to get the door open. The more she tried, the harder it rained and suddenly, it came down what we call, “an old fashion gully-washer”. Out of desperation, she cried out “Lord, I need your help and I need you right now!” Suddenly, an old pickup pulled right next to her. She looked up and saw this man approaching her. He was dirty, had a dew rag on top of his head with scars and tattoos all over his body, one in which you wouldn’t want to come across, especially alone. Without thinking she embraced this man and said, “Sir, could you possibly help me. My daughter is sick at home, and I have to get this medicine to her as soon as possible and I have locked my keys in the car.”
Within a minute or two, this man successfully unlocked her car. Out of joy, she grabbed this man, giving him a huge hug, and said, “you’re such a nice man.” The man pushed her away and said, “no, ma’am, I am not! You see, I have just escaped from prison, and I steal cars for a living!” Without any hesitation, this woman looked up toward heaven and said, “Thanks, God, for sending a professional!!!”
(Rev) Eli Carter-Morgan (they/them)
Spirit West United Church
Proud to share the land through Treaty 6
Congregational Meeting re FINANCIAL DIFFICULTIES- Sunday, May 28 – The church board met this month and discussed the very serious concerns about our congregation’s future. The reality is that our financial position requires that we need to make some difficult decisions. These options will be discussed at our congregational meeting on May 28. A vote will then be taken on June 4th after worship.
Basic choices for the Spirit West future:
1. We find money to carry on (current cash flow analysis, based on current donations, show that we will not be able to pay our bills by Dec 31, 2023)
a. Everyone double their givings
b. we find a Benefactor
c. we do a Capital Campaign
2. We sell and:
a. Rent somewhere else
c. Buy a smaller property for worship
d. Close the church
Please come ready to discuss these options and ask questions.
Come, help us MAKE A JOYFUL NOISE at 7:00 on Friday, June 2! HarpBeat Plus One (5 harps and 1 flute) will be joining the Spirit West Choir to present an evening of joyful music for your pleasure! Be sure to bring a friend — invite them to enjoy vocal and instrumental music presented within the warm and welcoming faith community here at Spirit West. Donations will be accepted to assist the ministry of Spirit West — suggested minimum donation per adult is $15.00. Donations $20.00 or more will be given a tax receipt.
FLOWER BASKETS – we are going to have blossoms beautifying the front porch of the church again this summer. This is a wonderful place for plants to grow. However, they do need to be watered. We are hoping that someone will consider giving them a good drink once or twice a week, depending on the weather. If you could do this, please call or email Norma at the church office
GUESS WHO’S COMING TO DINNER? – Join us in using cunning stealth and covert organization, to surprise our phenomenal Spirit West chefs. Only at the ring of their doorbell, should they discover who will join them for dinner on their chosen night of gastronomical delights!! This fund-raiser for the church will take place in the next few months! It is a terrific time to enjoy a fabulous meal and fellowship. Those who wish to host a dinner are asked to contact Bill C 780-481-2662 or Sheila H at 780-960-3878 or signup at the church. Hosts need to indicate the dates and times of their dinners and the number of guests they will be hosting. If there is a theme for the evening, this should also be provided. Guests will have the opportunity to select where they will dine and to provide any dietary restrictions to the conveners (who will secretly pass on the information to the hosts). A free will offering, in envelopes, will be collected by the host. A minimum offering of $25.00 per person is suggested. Please plan on attending one of these sensational evening parties and generously supporting our church.
LADIES’ GROUP POTLUCK SUPPER – 5:30pm, June 6 at Marj H’s house. A signup sheet is available at the back or email the office and I will sign you up!
- with suggestions for the potluck
- with the address
LEADERS for May 28
- Hospitality Team – Hemmerling – Georgina, Doreen, Rhea, Glenna
- Scripture Reader – Paul F
- Projectionist – Rebecca W
LEADERS for June 4
- Hospitality Team – Sather – Ramona, Isobel, Colleen, Diane H
- Scripture Reader – Rhea
- Projectionist – Terri-Lynn, Sara
DATES TO REMEMBER
- Make a Joyful Noise concert – Fri, June 2
- Congregational Meeting – Sun, June 4
- Women’s Group Potluck supper – Tues, June 6
- Sunday School Picnic – Sun, June 11
- Eli’s last Sunday preaching – June 18
EVENTS Happening in the CHURCH – May 29-June 4
- Mon, May 29 – Alberta Election Polling Station – 7:30am – 10:00 pm
- Tues, May 30, 6-7pm – set up for Church of Christ service
- Wed, May 31, 6-9pm – Church of Christ service
- Thurs, June 1, 8am – 10pm – set up for concert
- Thurs, June 1, 7-8:30pm – choir practice
- Fri, June 2, 8am-7pm - set up for concert
- Fri, June 2,7-9pm - concert
- Fri, June 2, 9:30-10:30pm - set up for Church of Christ service
- Sat, June 3, 7am - noon – Church of Christ service
- Sun, June 4, 11:45 am – Congregational meeting
SPIRIT WEST PRAYER CHAIN
Prayer is important. We know that people face challenges and difficulties and we cannot forget them. Our Prayer Chain continues to be active. If you have a prayer request, please send it to email@example.com. These requests will be shared regularly with the prayer chain and may form part of the Prayers of the People in our Sunday Worship.
Please remember to have people removed from the prayer chain if the prayers are no longer needed.
YOUR BOTTLES FOR THE CHURCH
You may have bottles piling up for recycling. You can bring them to the church (or you can call for pick up). If you want to bring your bottles (and any other recyclable beverage containers) in during our office hours and put them directly in the Bottle Shed (by the garage), give us a call, and we can have the shed open for you. All money raised from the return of bottles goes towards paying down the principal and interest on our mortgage.
- PAR - Pre-Authorized Remittance is a direct debit program run by the United Church of Canada. It allows people to support their church through an automatic monthly withdrawal from their bank account. It follows the giver's wishes (give to local, M&S, etc.). If you wish to go on PAR, please the fill out the form on the literature carousel and give the form and a cheque marked “void” to the church office. We will do the rest! If you wish to change your PAR amount, contact the office and we will make the change for you.
- We can accept donations by eTransfer. The contact name for the eTransfer is Spirit West United Church, and the email address is firstname.lastname@example.org . If you include a security question with your eTransfer, please notify Norma at the church office by phone or email of the answer.
- And remember that if you are not on PAR(Pre-Authorized Remittance) or even if you are , you can mail in cheques to the church office (Spirit West United Church, 7003 – 199 St. NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8, include your envelope number if you have one.)
- You can drop off your offering/donation in the offering plate just inside the front doors or place it in the mailbox.
- You can also donate online by checking out the online donation option on our website spiritwest.org and click on the Donate tab in the navigation bar.
SPIRIT WEST ONLINE!
Facebook: Spirit West United Church and Friends of Spirit West Outreach
YouTube: Spirt West United Church, Edmonton
Spirit West United Church
7003 - 199st.NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8
phone: (780) 481-1406