- Norma => Mon – vacation day; Tues & Wed – noon to 5pm; Thurs 7:30am to 12:30pm
- Eli => Tues 2-5, Wed: 1-4, Thursday TBD Friday Visiting – Eli is trying to get to know members of the congregation and they would love to meet with you in your homes, their office, or a favourite coffee shop. They are hoping to meet with a few of you on Thursday and Friday, or another time that is convenient for you.
Sunday, October 27, 2022 – Reformation Sunday
What’s our Reformation?
A little over 500 years ago, everything came together at once, and a monk from Wittenberg ended up remaking the map of Europe. For centuries, voices had been calling out for change, but it took an unlikely person, at just the right time and place to start the whole thing off. And it’s happening again.
What is our Reformation?
We will read Habakkuk 1: 1-4, 2:1-4. If you want to know more about the specific injustices faced by Habakkuk’s people, read the verses in the middle.
At the time of Habakkuk the Hebrew prophet, injustice and harmful behaviour was all over the place. The prophet cried out to God, and God answered that the end (of the injustice) is coming. Who is calling out for justice today? Who sees too much violence and hopes for a change?
We will read the story of Zacchaeus up a tree from Luke 19:1-10. Last week we had a story about a pretend tax collector, this week we meet a real one. We don’t get much backstory on biblical characters, but we do know that Zacchaeus was short and that he was curious about Jesus. We don’t know why Jesus chose his house for dinner that night. We do know that Jesus’ ministry was about healing broken relationships, and including outsiders.
Again I ask, what is OUR Reformation?
What is one change you pray the universal church (all Christians of all denominations and none around the world) would make as we face the future?” We will write our answers on sticky notes to stick by the church door.
(Rev) Eli Carter-Morgan (they/them)
Spirit West United Church
Proud to share the land through Treaty 6
***** COVENANTING SERVICE, 7pm, Friday, Oct 28 *****
This service between Rev Eli, Spirit West UC and Northern Spirit Region Council will be held in the sanctuary. All invited to attend as we formally welcome Eli into our church
LADIES GROUP CRAFT NIGHT, 7pm, Nov 8
The craft night is being held in the sanctuary. The cost is $2 to be paid on craft night. We need 3 volunteers to bring a snacks or baking. A sign-up sheet and an example of the craft are on the table by the office.
FALL SUPPER and SILENT AUCTION, Saturday, Nov. 19
The Spirt West Fall Supper and Silent Auction is back! Invite your family and friends to join us for a delectable catered Fall Supper!
Tickets are available now and are $35 for adults; $25 for youth 13-18; free for children12 and under. You can get your tickets from Lori W 780-221-7729 and the church office during office hours. Tickets are limited to 80 people so get yours early! Tables of 8 people can be reserved.
Doors open at 5:00 pm for drinks and the start of silent auction. Dinner starts at 6 pm.
Volunteers are needed to set up and cleanup. Signup sheets will be available soon.
CROISSANT and CINNAMON BUNS
Delicious cinnamon buns and croissants are once again being sold as a fundraiser for the Ladies Group. Croissants are $8 per dozen and cinnamon buns are $8 per ½ dozen. Order forms are on the table by the church office. Orders are to be returned by Nov 20. Packaging and pick-up will occur on Dec 7. Please contact Diane 780-444-0284 or Carol 780-481-2662 for more information
DATES TO REMEMBER:
- Covenanting Service – Friday, Oct 28
- Ladies Group Craft Night – Tuesday, Nov 8
- Fall Supper & Silent Auction – Saturday, Nov 19
- Fall Congregational Meeting – Sunday, Nov. 20
- Croissant & Cinnamon Bun packaging day – Wednesday, Dec 7
LEADERS FOR Oct 30
- Scripture Reader – Sheila Hoy
- Projectionist – Tiegan Benson
- Hospitality Team – Sather – Ramona, Isobel, Colleen
YouTube Videos Worship Services – October 28 & 30 – in person worship service
To watch online, you will need to go to YouTube and google “Spirit West United Church”. This action will bring you to the Spirit West United Church YouTube page.
SPIRIT WEST PRAYER CHAIN
Prayer is important. We know that people face challenges and difficulties and we cannot forget them. Our Prayer Chain continues to be active. If you have a prayer request, please send it to email@example.com. These requests will be shared regularly with the prayer chain and may form part of the Prayers of the People in our Sunday Worship.
Please remember to have people removed from the prayer chain if the prayers are no longer needed.
YOUR BOTTLES FOR THE CHURCH
You may have bottles piling up for recycling. You can bring them to the church (or you can call for pick up). If you want to bring your bottles (and any other recyclable beverage containers) in during our office hours and put them directly in the Bottle Shed (by the garage), give us a call, and we can have the shed open for you. All money raised from the return of bottles goes towards paying down the principal and interest on our mortgage.
We can accept donations by eTransfer. The contact name for the eTransfer is Spirit West United Church, and the email address is firstname.lastname@example.org . If you include a security question with your eTransfer, please notify Norma at the church office by phone or email of the answer.
- And remember that if you are not on PAR(Pre-Authorized Remittance) or even if you are , you can mail in cheques to the church office (Spirit West United Church, 7003 – 199 St. NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8, include your envelope number if you have one.)
- You can drop off your offering/donation in the offering plate just inside the front doors or place it in the mailbox.
- You can also donate online by checking out the online donation option on our website spiritwest.org and click on the Donate tab in the navigation bar.
SPIRIT WEST ONLINE!
Facebook: Spirit West United Church and Friends of Spirit West Outreach
YouTube: Spirt West United Church, Edmonton
Spirit West United Church
7003 - 199st.NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8
phone: (780) 481-1406