Happy Easter everyone!!
I can feel the new life emerging around us as Easter so nicely lines up with the beginning of spring-like weather. I hope you have all had an opportunity to experience resurrection in some way this year.
This Sunday is Holy Humour Sunday, so come prepared to smile and laugh at God’s great prank of defeating death. Experience the joy of Mary and the disciples discovering that Jesus is Risen.
Our readings are Ecclesiastes 3 – a poem about a time for all things, and John 20: 11-18, Mary meets the gardener.
For Children’s time I’m reading “the Boy in the Drawer” by Robert Munsch.
For the sermon I’m talking about how Jesus seems to keep showing up to his friends and followers but they do not recognize him. Where is the risen Christ in our midst. I may try my hand at stand up comedy, but I don’t think it will go well. Please be kind and laugh anyway?
Anyway, here’s some jokes to get you warmed up.
Where was Solomon’s temple located? – On the side of his head.
36. What's a miracle that can be done by a complainer? Turning anything into whine.
Wrong Email Sent
A Minneapolis couple decided to go to Florida to thaw out during a particularly icy winter. They planned to stay at the same hotel where they spent their honeymoon 20 years earlier. Because of their hectic schedules, it was difficult for the couple to coordinate their travel plans. So the husband left Minnesota and flew to Florida on Thursday, while his wife planned to fly down the following day.
The husband checked into the hotel. There was a computer in his room, so he decided to send an email to his wife. However, he accidentally left out one letter of her email address and sent the email without realizing his error.
Meanwhile, somewhere in Houston, a widow had just returned home from her husband’s funeral. He was a Baptist minister who was called home to glory following a heart attack. The widow decided to check her email, expecting condolence messages from family and friends.
But after reading her very first email, she screamed and fainted. The widow’s son rushed into the room, found his mother on the floor, and saw the computer screen which read:
To: My Loving Wife
Subject: I’ve Just Arrived Today. I know you’re surprised to hear from me. They have computers here now and you are allowed to send emails to your loved ones. Since I’ve just arrived, I thought I would send you an email.
Everything has been prepared for your arrival tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing you then! Hope your journey is as uneventful as mine was.
P. S. Sure is hot down here!!!
Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday!
(Rev) Eli Carter-Morgan (they/them)
Spirit West United Church
Proud to share the land through Treaty 6
Faith Exploration - Explore big questions – What do we mean when we say God, Who was/is Jesus and how does he matter? What is the Bible and how should it influence us? What are your big questions? The Study Group open to anyone wherever you are on your faith journey. This can lead to Confirmation or Re-Affirmation of faith. Please Let Eli know if you are interested.
Schedule - after Church/Lunch on Sunday and on Wednesday afternoons at 2pm
- April 16 – Seek Justice, Resist Evil
- April 19, 23 – Life, Death, Life beyond Death
LADIES GROUP GET-TOGETHER, 7pm, Tuesday, April 18
This informal get-together is being held in the sanctuary this Tuesday at 7pm. Come ready to laugh, talk and share snacks. See you then!
GUESS WHO’S COMING TO DINNER? – Join us in using cunning stealth and covert organization, to surprise our phenomenal Spirit West chefs. Only at the ring of their doorbell, should they discover who will join them for dinner on their chosen night of gastronomical delights!! This fund-raiser for the church will take place in the next few months! It is a terrific time to enjoy a fabulous meal and fellowship. Those who wish to host a dinner are asked to contact Bill C 780-481-2662 or Sheila H at 780-960-3878 or signup at the church. Hosts need to indicate the dates and times of their dinners and the number of guests they will be hosting. If there is a theme for the evening, this should also be provided. Guests will have the opportunity to select where they will dine and to provide any dietary restrictions to the conveners (who will secretly pass on the information to the hosts). A free will offering, in envelopes, will be collected by the host. A minimum offering of $25.00 per person is suggested. Please plan on attending one of these sensational evening parties and generously supporting our church.
EVENTS Happening in the CHURCH - Apr 13-22
Thurs, Apr 13, 7-8:30pm – choir practice
Fri, April 14, 6-7pm – set up for Church of Christ service
Sat, Apr 15, 7am - noon – Church of Christ service
Sat, April 15, 8:30am – Men’s breakfast
Tues, April 18, 7-9pm – Ladies Group Meeting
Tues, April 18, 9-10pm – set up for Church of Christ service
Wed, Apr 19, 2-4pm – Faith Exploration
Wed, April 19, 6-9pm – Church of Christ service
Thurs, Apr 20, 7-8:30pm – choir practice
Fri, April 21, 6-7pm – set up for Church of Christ service
Sat, Apr 22, 7am - noon – Church of Christ service
LEADERS for April 16
- Hospitality Team – Ludlow – Diane L, Norma B, Carol & Bruce S
- Scripture Reader – Glenna W
- Projectionist – Norma B
LEADERS for April 23
- Hospitality Team – Hemmerling – Georgina, Doreen, Rhea, Glenna
- Scripture Reader – Glenna W
- Projectionist – Rebecca W
- Chalmers-Castledowns UC SPRING CRAFT MARKER. Sat, May 13, 10am-3pm. This fundraiser supports the life & work on the church in north west Edmonton
- HOW IS IT GOING? An invitation to Edmonton and Area United Churches (clergy and lay) to gather, to share, around the health and viability of their Community of Faith. May 27th at McDougall United Church, 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. Come have conversation about resources, both people and money, leadership, administration and… Café Style with Juicy Questions. What consumes your energy now? What is happening with leadership both clergy and lay? What is happening with Committee work? Are there ways we can share resources, both human and otherwise around the tasks of work we all need to do? and then “What’s Next?” Bring your own lunch. Coffee, tea, snacks and parking will be provided. RSVP to McDougall United Church 780-428-1818 or finance@McDougallUnited.com by May 19th
- ST. STEPHEN'S COLLEGE FUNDRAISING GALA - Friday, June 16, 5-10pm, JW Marriott Ice District - 10344 102 St NW, Edmonton. Featuring live painting by Giselle Denis, live entertainment, guest speakers & silent auction - $250 per person, or $2000 per table of 8. A deductible charitable tax receipt will be issued for a portion of the ticket price after the event
YouTube Videos Worship Services – April 16 – also, in person worship service
To watch online, you will need to go to YouTube and google “Spirit West United Church”.
This action will bring you to the Spirit West United Church YouTube page.
SPIRIT WEST PRAYER CHAIN
Prayer is important. We know that people face challenges and difficulties and we cannot forget them. Our Prayer Chain continues to be active. If you have a prayer request, please send it to email@example.com. These requests will be shared regularly with the prayer chain and may form part of the Prayers of the People in our Sunday Worship.
Please remember to have people removed from the prayer chain if the prayers are no longer needed.
YOUR BOTTLES FOR THE CHURCH
You may have bottles piling up for recycling. You can bring them to the church (or you can call for pick up). If you want to bring your bottles (and any other recyclable beverage containers) in during our office hours and put them directly in the Bottle Shed (by the garage), give us a call, and we can have the shed open for you. All money raised from the return of bottles goes towards paying down the principal and interest on our mortgage.
- We can accept donations by eTransfer. The contact name for the eTransfer is Spirit West United Church, and the email address is firstname.lastname@example.org . If you include a security question with your eTransfer, please notify Norma at the church office by phone or email of the answer.
- And remember that if you are not on PAR(Pre-Authorized Remittance) or even if you are , you can mail in cheques to the church office (Spirit West United Church, 7003 – 199 St. NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8, include your envelope number if you have one.)
- You can drop off your offering/donation in the offering plate just inside the front doors or place it in the mailbox.
- You can also donate online by checking out the online donation option on our website spiritwest.org and click on the Donate tab in the navigation bar.
SPIRIT WEST ONLINE!
Facebook: Spirit West United Church and Friends of Spirit West Outreach
YouTube: Spirt West United Church, Edmonton
Office Hours for April 16-22
Norma => Mon & Wed => noon to 5pm
Tues & Thurs – 9:30am to 2:30pm
Eli => Minister’s work days next week Sunday-Thursday. Please let Eli know if there is anyone you think they should call or visit.
Spirit West United Church
7003 - 199st.NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8
phone: (780) 481-1406