What does courage mean to you? When have you needed to be brave?
I’ve heard courage means being scared and doing something anyway, and that is certainly a part of it, but I think courage can mean so much more. Do you remember the French word for heart? Coeur – the root from where we have the word courage - to take heart. I think one of the places we most often have to be brave in our world today comes in the form of difficult conversations. When we have to tell loved ones something we know they will find difficult to hear, but we have the conversation anyway, that takes courage.
In our scriptures this week Peter encourages the growing church by teaching how we have to be different from the world around us and deeply embracing loving one another – “genuine mutual affection, love one another deeply from the heart . . into something imperishable – the living, enduring word of God.” That word of God endures from his day 2000 years ago, and still lives in and through us as followers of the way of Jesus. The path of genuine love takes a lot of courage so that we can speak and hear truths we would rather avoid.
We will have the pleasure of two scripture readers holding
Acts 2:36-41 – the first big speech Peter gives on behalf of the newborn church –
And 1 Peter 1:20-23 – from the letter written by Peter to the church years later
Together they show the heart, the soul, of Peter, Jesus’ closest disciple’s faith.
With the children we will re-visit the story on the road to Emmaus where a stranger interprets scripture to the disciples, and is revealed to be Jesus when he breaks the bread.
On a personal note, my family will be welcoming Jen’s father’s 2 six year old bichon shih Tzu dogs into our home, so please ask us about Molly and Tia.
Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday!
(Rev) Eli Carter-Morgan (they/them)
Spirit West United Church
Proud to share the land through Treaty 6
Faith Exploration - Explore big questions – What do we mean when we say God, Who was/is Jesus and how does he matter? What is the Bible and how should it influence us? What are your big questions? The Study Group open to anyone wherever you are on your faith journey. This can lead to Confirmation or Re-Affirmation of faith. Please Let Eli know if you are interested.
Schedule - after Church/Lunch on Sunday and on Wednesday afternoons at 2pm
- April 19, 23 – Life, Death, Life beyond Death
ADVENTURING WORSHIP – Sunday, May 7 - Have you ever wondered how other worship services in other churches are conducted? This is your chance to choose another church that you would like to visit. On May 7th, Eli will be away at the Northern Spirit Regional Council Conference along with all the other United Church ministers in the Region. Coincidently, it also happens that our music leaders are away that Sunday as well so there will be NO service at Spirit West. Instead, you are encouraged to worship anywhere else and then we hope that you will report back on what you observed and experienced. Perhaps you’ll see and experience other ways of greeting people when they arrive, different ways of extending hospitality, different order in the service, interesting decorations, different musical presentations / participation, interesting ways of praying, Sunday School observations, ideas for fund-raising, interesting ways of using technology, etc. There will be a “cheat sheet” available next Sunday or by email from the office on which you can record observations. These sheets can be dropped off at the church. There is a sheet on the credenza by the office for signing up to be a driver and a sheet for those who need a ride or would like to car pool. Safe driving and Happy Adventuring.
GUESS WHO’S COMING TO DINNER? – Join us in using cunning stealth and covert organization, to surprise our phenomenal Spirit West chefs. Only at the ring of their doorbell, should they discover who will join them for dinner on their chosen night of gastronomical delights!! This fund-raiser for the church will take place in the next few months! It is a terrific time to enjoy a fabulous meal and fellowship. Those who wish to host a dinner are asked to contact Bill C 780-481-2662 or Sheila H at 780-960-3878 or signup at the church. Hosts need to indicate the dates and times of their dinners and the number of guests they will be hosting. If there is a theme for the evening, this should also be provided. Guests will have the opportunity to select where they will dine and to provide any dietary restrictions to the conveners (who will secretly pass on the information to the hosts). A free will offering, in envelopes, will be collected by the host. A minimum offering of $25.00 per person is suggested. Please plan on attending one of these sensational evening parties and generously supporting our church.
EVENTS Happening in the CHURCH - Apr 23-30
Mon, April 24, 6-8:30pm – Embers
Tues, April 25, 5:30-9:30pm – City of Edmonton planning meeting
Tues, April 25, 9:30-10:30pm – set up for Church of Christ service
Wed, Apr 26, 2-4pm – Faith Exploration
Wed, April 26, 6-9pm – Church of Christ service
Thurs, Apr 27, 7-8:30pm – choir practice
Fri, April 28, 6-7pm – set up for Church of Christ service
Sat, Apr 29, 7am - noon – Church of Christ service
LEADERS for April 23
- Hospitality Team – Hemmerling – Georgina, Doreen, Rhea, Glenna
- Scripture Reader – Glenna W
- Projectionist – Rebecca
LEADERS for April 30
- Hospitality Team – Sather – Ramona, Isobel, Colleen, Diane H
- Scripture Reader – Bill C
- Projectionist – Terri-Lynn / Sara
DATES TO REMEMBER:
Adventuring Sunday – May 7 – no service at Spirit West; enjoy a service elsewhere
Board Meeting, Wed, May 10, 7pm – via ZOOM
Church School Picnic – June 11
- Chalmers-Castledowns UC SPRING CRAFT MARKET. Sat, May 13, 10am-3pm. This fundraiser supports the life & work on the church in North West Edmonton
- An invitation to Edmonton and Area UCs (clergy and lay) to gather, to share, around the health and viability of their Community of Faith. May 27th at McDougall UC, 10 am-2pm. Come have conversation about resources, both people and money, leadership, administration and… What consumes your energy now? What is happening with leadership both clergy and lay? Are there ways we can share resources, both human and otherwise around the tasks of work we all need to do? and then “What’s Next?” Bring your own lunch. Coffee, tea, snacks and parking will be provided. RSVP to McDougall UC 780-428-1818 or finance@McDougallUnited.com by May 19th.
- Older, Bolder, Better - Seniors Exhibition & Symposium, Thursday, June 8, Westend Seniors Activity Centre, 9629 176 st, Edmonton. Entertainment by Bob Layton
- ST. STEPHEN'S COLLEGE FUNDRAISING GALA - Friday, June 16, 5-10pm, JW Marriott Ice District - 10344 102 St NW, Edmonton. Featuring live painting by Giselle Denis, live entertainment, guest speakers & silent auction - $250 per person, or $2000 per table of 8. A deductible charitable tax receipt will be issued for a portion of the ticket price after the event
- COMMUNITY & CONNECTION – 2SLGBTQ1A+ and Advocacy Conference, June 22-24, Robertson-Wesley UC, 10209-123 St. Bringing together those who do work in the 2SLGBTQIA+ community to share their challenges and experiences with each other and the greater community. More information at www.communityandconnection.com
YouTube Videos Worship Services – April 23 – also, in person worship service
To watch online, you will need to go to YouTube and google “Spirit West United Church”.
This action will bring you to the Spirit West United Church YouTube page.
SPIRIT WEST PRAYER CHAIN
Prayer is important. We know that people face challenges and difficulties and we cannot forget them. Our Prayer Chain continues to be active. If you have a prayer request, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. These requests will be shared regularly with the prayer chain and may form part of the Prayers of the People in our Sunday Worship.
Please remember to have people removed from the prayer chain if the prayers are no longer needed.
YOUR BOTTLES FOR THE CHURCH
You may have bottles piling up for recycling. You can bring them to the church (or you can call for pick up). If you want to bring your bottles (and any other recyclable beverage containers) in during our office hours and put them directly in the Bottle Shed (by the garage), give us a call, and we can have the shed open for you. All money raised from the return of bottles goes towards paying down the principal and interest on our mortgage.
- We can accept donations by eTransfer. The contact name for the eTransfer is Spirit West United Church, and the email address is email@example.com . If you include a security question with your eTransfer, please notify Norma at the church office by phone or email of the answer.
- And remember that if you are not on PAR(Pre-Authorized Remittance) or even if you are , you can mail in cheques to the church office (Spirit West United Church, 7003 – 199 St. NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8, include your envelope number if you have one.)
- You can drop off your offering/donation in the offering plate just inside the front doors or place it in the mailbox.
- You can also donate online by checking out the online donation option on our website spiritwest.org and click on the Donate tab in the navigation bar.
SPIRIT WEST ONLINE!
Facebook: Spirit West United Church and Friends of Spirit West Outreach
YouTube: Spirt West United Church, Edmonton
Spirit West United Church
7003 - 199st.NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8
phone: (780) 481-1406