Sunday, October 23, 2022 – 19th Sunday after Pentecost
What is your why? What is our why? What is the purpose of what we are doing? It is important to stop and take note of why we do what we do, to make sure our actions line up with our values.
It is easy to lose track of our purpose in the everyday details of our lives, and soon we get off course from our values as we get pulled along with the tide of whatever is easiest, not whatever is right. Jeremiah tells us that God’s purpose is written right on our own hearts. This means that we each have to take time to seek out God’s ways, and understand God’s purposes.
Can you say in a few words what is most important to you? Take a minute to do it now. I’ll wait 😊
Can you say what you believe is most important for our church? What is our why together?
Jeremiah the prophet speaks of a dream of a future where things are good – where we prosper or suffer based on our own actions – a just world. He imagines a world where we each have our own relationship with God. I don’t believe he sees this as a private piety, but as a space where we all listen for the voice of God in each other’s voice, because God’s law has been written on each of our hearts. The text is Jeremiah 31: 27-34.
When we know what our purpose is, we have the strength and perseverance to fight for it. Jesus tells a parable about a woman confronting an unjust judge day and night until he relents and finds her justice. For whom or what would you pursue justice relentlessly like that widow? The story is found in Luke 18:2-7.
With the children, we will think about what parables are and how they can open our minds up to God’s truths.
(Rev) Eli Carter-Morgan (they/them)
Spirit West United Church
Proud to share the land through Treaty 6
BYOB MEN’S BREAKFAST
Come to the church at 8:00 am on Oct 22 for a BYOB breakfast – that is, bring your own breakfast! And enjoy the fellowship! All men welcome!
SAVE THE DATE
- FALL SUPPER and SILENT AUCTION – will be held on Saturday, Nov 19 at the church. More details coming soon.
- CROISSANT & CINNAMON BUN SALE – the information has been emailed to the congregation. Order forms are available on the table by the office.
DATES TO REMEMBER:
- Board Meeting – Wednesday, Oct 19 via ZOOM ** corrected **
- Men’s Breakfast – Saturday, Oct 22
- Ladies Group Craft Night – Tuesday, Nov 8
- Fall Supper & Silent Auction – Saturday, Nov 19
- Fall Congregational Meeting – Sunday, Nov. 20
- Croissant & Cinnamon Bun packaging day – Wednesday, Dec 7
Leaders for Oct 23
- Scripture Reader – Rhea O
- Projectionist – Norma B
- Hospitality Team – Hemmerling (Georgina, Doreen, Rhea, Glenna)
YouTube Videos Worship Services – October 16 – in person worship service
To watch online, you will need to go to YouTube and google “Spirit West United Church”. This action will bring you to the Spirit West United Church YouTube page.
SPIRIT WEST PRAYER CHAIN
Prayer is important. We know that people face challenges and difficulties and we cannot forget them. Our Prayer Chain continues to be active. If you have a prayer request, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. These requests will be shared regularly with the prayer chain and may form part of the Prayers of the People in our Sunday Worship.
Please remember to have people removed from the prayer chain if the prayers are no longer needed.
YOUR BOTTLES FOR THE CHURCH
You may have bottles piling up for recycling. You can bring them to the church (or you can call for pick up). If you want to bring your bottles (and any other recyclable beverage containers) in during our office hours and put them directly in the Bottle Shed (by the garage), give us a call, and we can have the shed open for you. All money raised from the return of bottles goes towards paying down the principal and interest on our mortgage.
We can accept donations by eTransfer. The contact name for the eTransfer is Spirit West United Church, and the email address is email@example.com . If you include a security question with your eTransfer, please notify Norma at the church office by phone or email of the answer.
- And remember that if you are not on PAR(Pre-Authorized Remittance), you can also mail in cheques to the church office (Spirit West United Church, 7003 – 199 St. NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8, include your envelope number if you have one.)
- The church office is open and you can drop off your offering/donation in the offering plate just inside the front doors or place it in the mailbox.
- You can also donate online by checking out the online donation option on our website spiritwest.org and click on the Donate tab in the navigation bar.
SPIRIT WEST ONLINE!
Facebook: Spirit West United Church and Friends of Spirit West Outreach
YouTube: Spirt West United Church, Edmonton
Spirit West United Church
7003 - 199st.NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8
phone: (780) 481-1406