Sunday, December 18, 2022 – Advent 4 - Love
Joseph takes centre stage this week as we light the candle of love. In Joseph we learn a lot about love, what it means to be a family, and maybe some hints about who Jesus is expected to be.
Joseph was stuck in a dilemma. He was expected to divorce Mary because she was pregnant but they were not yet married. He had to decide whether to do it publicly to make sure he saved his own reputation so no one suspected he had broken his society’s expectations of marriage, or privately, to save Mary any further public disgrace. He had decided to do the most loving thing he could imagine in that moment, and divorce her privately.
In a dream an angel opened his heart and mind to a new possibility he had never imagined before. Maybe there was an even more loving option available to him. He could marry her- and he did.
Do you ever feel caught between two choices and neither one feels right? Of course you do – that is life. Of course you pray about them too, just as Joseph must have. Maybe an angel will come to you with a whole new possibility. Maybe your eyes will open to a different way, a more loving way than you had ever even dreamed before?
We are coming into the season of lots of family gatherings for many of us, and we often face difficult moments and choices. May your hearts and minds be filled with peace that your lips may bring forth good news for those around you. As our moderator said in her Christmas message – May you see and hear the good news of Christmas, may you be the good news of Christmas. You can see Carmen (The Right Reverend Doctor Landsdown)’s whole message here https://youtu.be/EJk922g8JPA
(Rev) Eli Carter-Morgan (they/them)
Spirit West United Church
Proud to share the land through Treaty 6
LIVING NATIVITY - Final session of our four week Advent small group study. Take a closer look at the figures in your Nativity Set and draw closer to the Mystery of the Incarnation. Join us this Sat at 10am or next Wed, Dec 17 at 2pm even if you have not come before. Coffee and snack provided. Please allow 90 minutes so we can enjoy our time together.
Session 4 – Is Everybody Here?
BISSELL CENTRE APPEAL - CHRISTMAS GIVINGS – in previous years the churches of Edmonton have supported the Bissell Center with White Gift Sunday offerings during Advent. This year the Inner City Pastoral Ministry (ICPM) has sent us an letter appealing for our help in other ways. Edmonton’s most vulnerable are growing in numbers and more are being forced to live in make shift tents on our snowy streets and many are dealing with the current painful shingella outbreak. As we all know the rising cost of food and utilities is difficult to manage and some of these folks are having to make decisions regarding a warm place to live or food on the table.
I will be collecting the following needed items this Sunday from those of you that are able to give, and I will deliver them to the Bissell Center on Dec 20th:
- Urgent need: Gift Cards for Grocery Stores (Sobeys/Safeway/Superstore/Fresh Co/Walmart, etc.), Bus tickets
- Warm items: Gloves, thick socks, toques, thermal underwear, hand/foot warmers, blankets
- Basic items: Toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, razors, men’s and ladies underwear
Lori Walkhouse, Outreach Chair
MEN’S BREAKFAST, 8:30 am, Sat, Dec 17
Gather with other men of the congregation in the Lower Hall for fellowship and a breakfast of pancakes, sausages and eggs. Come a few minutes early and help cook if you would like. All men welcome!
DATES TO REMEMBER:
- Men’s Breakfast – 8:30 am, Sat, Dec 17
- Christmas Eve Service – 6:30 pm, Sat, Dec. 24
- No service Dec 25, 2022 and Jan 1, 2023
LEADERS for Dec 18
- Scripture Reader – Rhea Olson
- Projectionist – Norma Balcombe
- Hospitality Team – Ludlow – Diane, Norma, Bruce & Carol
YouTube Videos Worship Services – December 18 – also, in person worship service
To watch online, you will need to go to YouTube and google “Spirit West United Church”. This action will bring you to the Spirit West United Church YouTube page.
SPIRIT WEST PRAYER CHAIN
Prayer is important. We know that people face challenges and difficulties and we cannot forget them. Our Prayer Chain continues to be active. If you have a prayer request, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. These requests will be shared regularly with the prayer chain and may form part of the Prayers of the People in our Sunday Worship.
Please remember to have people removed from the prayer chain if the prayers are no longer needed.
YOUR BOTTLES FOR THE CHURCH
You may have bottles piling up for recycling. You can bring them to the church (or you can call for pick up). If you want to bring your bottles (and any other recyclable beverage containers) in during our office hours and put them directly in the Bottle Shed (by the garage), give us a call, and we can have the shed open for you. All money raised from the return of bottles goes towards paying down the principal and interest on our mortgage.
- We can accept donations by eTransfer. The contact name for the eTransfer is Spirit West United Church, and the email address is email@example.com . If you include a security question with your eTransfer, please notify Norma at the church office by phone or email of the answer.
- And remember that if you are not on PAR(Pre-Authorized Remittance) or even if you are , you can mail in cheques to the church office (Spirit West United Church, 7003 – 199 St. NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8, include your envelope number if you have one.)
- You can drop off your offering/donation in the offering plate just inside the front doors or place it in the mailbox.
- You can also donate online by checking out the online donation option on our website spiritwest.org and click on the Donate tab in the navigation bar.
- Norma => Mon, Dec 19 – vacation; Tues, Wed, Thurs – noon to 5pm, office closed Dec 24, 2022 to Jan 2, 2023 inclusive.
- Eli => Eli working Hours (subject to change) – Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday 1-9, Friday, 9-5. If there is anyone Eli should visit before Christmas, please let them know. They will be available by phone or text for emergencies over the holidays and back in the building January 5. – Eli is trying to get to know members of the congregation and they would love to meet with you in your homes, their office, or a favourite coffee shop. They are hoping to meet with a few each week.
Office will be closed from Friday, Dec 23, 2022 to Jan 2, 2023, reopening at noon on Tuesday, Jan 3, 2023
SPIRIT WEST ONLINE!
Facebook: Spirit West United Church and Friends of Spirit West Outreach
YouTube: Spirt West United Church, Edmonton
Spirit West United Church
7003 - 199st.NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8
phone: (780) 481-1406