Larry is still at the Royal Alexander Hospital. At the time I am sending this, I do not know exactly what is happening with him. However, he will not be able to lead worship on Sunday so we will be led by David Faber, a licensed lay leader who is part of the Riverbend United Church congregation,.
This Sunday – The Third Sunday of Advent – “Mary”
Larry was planning to continue with the biographical sermons for Advent. This Sunday we will be looking at Mary, the mother of Jesus. The third Advent Candle is “Joy” which will be reflected during the Lighting of the Advent Candles.
The readings for Sunday are Isaiah 11: 1-10, and Matthew 3: 1-12. In the Time for All Ages we will talk about, “A sign” The title of the Sermon is “John the Baptist”
Please remember that our church is a “scent-free” zone because of some severe allergies and sensitives. We would ask that you refrain from using scented beauty or grooming products such as perfume, after-shave, etc. when attending services and programs at Spirit West.
ADVENT BIBLE STUDY 2019 (an update)
Our Advent/Christmas/Epiphany will expand on the Advent biographies of Isaiah, John, Mary, and Joseph and will be held on Wednesdays before Christmas (if Larry is well enough to lead this) and in the new year.
- Sunday, December 15 – Advent 3 “Mary” (10:30 am)
- Sunday, December 22 – Advent 4 “Joseph” (10:30 am)
- Tuesday, December 24 – Christmas Eve (6:30 pm) - This is a family service where we hear again the story of Christ’s birth. Children will have the opportunity to portray the scene in Bethlehem. No acting experience is necessary and there are no lines to learn. If you want to participate, come a bit early for your costume fitting!
- Sunday, December 29 – Cinnamon Bun Sunday (10:30 am, Lower Hall) - For this casual Service we will gather in the Lower Hall. During the Service this year, we will be looking at the secular celebration of Christmas, the celebration of what my children have started to call “Saturyule” Learn about the ancient Roman festival of Saturnalia, and the pre-Christian Germanic festival of Jul, and see how their celebrations are kept alive in our shopping malls (and in our homes) every November and December to this day.
- Sunday, January 5, 2020 – Epiphany (10:30 am) - The first Service of 2020 will be a Communion Service. We will also celebrate the visit of the Magi to the child Jesus. And if we are to be somewhat in line with the Biblical narrative, the Magi arriving this year would have started their journey some time around Christmas 2017.
- Sunday, January 12, 2020 – Baptism of Jesus (10:30am ) - At this Service we will remember the Baptism of Jesus and experience the Asperges as we move into the new calendar year.
Stewardship Drive for 2020
Although our Stewardship Campaign for 2020 has ended, we will still accept your pledge forms. They can be scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are not able bring them in
• Seasonal items are now being collected for the Jasper Place Wellness Center and the Bissell Center – underwear, socks, scarves, mitts, refillable water bottles, hand warmers, etc. These can be left at the “Giving Tree” (in the sanctuary by the lounge windows) for distribution.
• Bissell Festive Wishlist – Pick up a Bissell Festive Wishlist from the back table or from under the “Giving Tree”, fill a stocking with items from the list or purchase a gift for a child; bring them to church on Dec 15. They will then be delivered to Bissell.
Your Favourite Hymn
Do you have a favourite hymn that you’d like to hear included in one of our worship services? Please let Bonnie C. know your choice and she will make sure it is sung within the month.
A WAY TO CONTRIBUTE FINANCIALLY
You don’t have offering envelopes, you are not on PAR, and you don’t get to church as often as you would like, but you want to make a financial contribution to work of Spirit West, and receive a tax receipt. Now you can! Check out the online donation option on our website spiritwest.org and click on the Donate tab in the navigation bar.
RIDE TO CHURCH?
From time to time we encounter people who would like to come to church at Spirit West, but are unable to because they do not have means of transportation. Can you give a ride? If you would be willing to make yourself available to provide a ride to church please call the church office. Do you need a ride? Would you like to come to church at Spirit West, but are unable to because you have no ride, please call the church office. (780-481-1406)
Spirit West Prayer Chain
The Spirit West Prayer Chain is a group of people who have committed to continue our prayers of concern from Sunday through the week. To be part of this ministry, email your request to email@example.com . You may also email a request for prayer to the same email address. If you would prefer to talk to someone, you can call the church.
SPIRIT WEST ONLINE!
Facebook: Spirit West United Church
- Norma => 11:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Thursday
- Larry => 10:00 am to 5:00 pm, Tuesday to Friday
Norma for Larry
(Rev.) Larry K. Wright, CD, BA, MDiv
Spirit West United Church