YouTube Videos and Live-streaming Worship Services
Now that we are live-streaming our services and you wish to watch online, you will need to:
- click on this link https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrJQ5ljHCSPBV3F8TmIhvVA OR
- go to YouTube and google Spirit West United Church.
THIS SUNDAY – SECOND SUNDAY IN ADVENT - PEACE
How do people of faith help prepare the way for God’s saving love? What barriers need to be removed?
These are the readings we will hear in this week’s worship service, for the Second Sunday of Advent.
• The Book of the Prophet Malachi 3:1-4
The Book of Malachi is the last book of our Old Testament, and probably dates from the time at the end of the Exile in Babylon, about 5 centuries BC. The name Malachi means, “My Messenger.”
• The Gospel of Luke 3:1-6
All of the Gospels portray John the Baptist as the one sent by God to prepare the way for the ministry of Jesus. But the Gospel of Luke takes great care to provide the historical framework in which John appeared.
Don’t be surprised if you find yourself humming bits of Handel’s Messiah. The text of the oratorio (composed in 1741) was compiled from the King James Version of The Bible by Charles Jennens, using many phrases from our readings during this Season of Advent.
But that kind of familiarity may distract us from truly hearing what the biblical messengers are saying to us. As a rule, biblical prophets aren’t so much about predicting the future as they are about calling the people back to faithful living. Hence the question for this week: How do we prepare the way for God’s saving love?
IN-PERSON WORSHIP - SUNDAY 10:30am
Remember that the following conditions will apply:
1. Worship will be on a first come first served basis in order to keep to the physical distancing required under government regulation.
2. You will be asked to provide proof of full vaccination or proof of a negative PCR test within 72 hours of the worship service; you will be given a “vaccine registry number” card which you can then use for subsequent Sundays instead of having to show your proof of vaccination
3. Masks are to be worn at all times
4. Not attending when feeling unwell
5. Answering the Covid questions and signing in upon entry;
6. Following the patterns of movement within the church
7. Maintaining physical distance at all times from others who are not members of your household or cohort
8. Bringing your own food or beverage
9. Listening to the music presented but not singing
10. Leaving immediately after the service ends
CHRISTMAS EVE SERVICE
Plans are being made for the in-person service on Christmas Eve. Due to the physical distancing restrictions we have to follow, we only have a limited number of people who can attend in-person worship. In order to facilitate that, a registration process will be required for the in-person Christmas Eve service.
There are 2 ways that people can do that beginning the week of December 5.
1. Sign up on the Christmas Eve signup sheet available at church on Sunday morning OR
2. Call in to the church office and leave your name and phone number
Please indicate the number of people that wish to attend
It may be that we cannot accommodate everyone at the in-person service, but there will also be a virtual service for Christmas Eve.
Margaret Benson on behalf of worship and re-opening committees
FROM THE PASTORAL SEARCH COMMITTEE
We are continuing our second two round of interviews and discussing the results of the interviews.
SPIRIT WEST PRAYER CHAIN
Prayer is important. We know that people still face challenges and difficulties not related to Covid-19, and we cannot forget them. Our Prayer Chain continues to be active. If you have a prayer request, please send it to email@example.com. These requests will be shared regularly with the prayer chain and will form part of the Prayers of the People in our Sunday Worship.
Please remember to have people removed from the prayer chain if the prayers are no longer needed.
YOUR BOTTLES FOR THE CHURCH
You may have bottles piling up for recycling. You can bring them to the church (or you can call for pick up). If you want to bring your bottles (and any other recyclable beverage containers) in during our office hours and put them directly in the Bottle Shed (by the garage), give us a call, and we can have the shed open for you. All money raised from the return of bottles goes towards paying down the principal and interest on our mortgage.
We can now accept donations by eTransfer. The contact name for the eTransfer is Spirit West United Church, and the email address is firstname.lastname@example.org . If you include a security question with your eTransfer, please notify Norma at the church office by phone or email. And remember that if you are not on PAR(Pre-Authorized Remittance), you can also mail in cheques to the church office (Spirit West United Church, 7003 – 199 St. NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8, include your envelope number if you have one.) The church office is open and you can drop off your offering/donation in the offering plate just inside the front doors. You can also donate online, see below…
ANOTHER WAY TO CONTRIBUTE FINANCIALLY TO SPIRIT WEST DURING A GLOBAL PANDEMIC
You are stuck home, you are not on PAR, but you want to make a financial contribution to the work of Spirit West, because the church has bills to pay. Check out the online donation option on our website spiritwest.org and click on the Donate tab in the navigation bar.
SPIRIT WEST ONLINE!
Facebook: Spirit West United Church and Friends of Spirit West Outreach
YouTube: Spirt West United Church, Edmonton
The Spirit West Church office remains open.
- Stuart => 9:30am to 2:30pm, Tuesday and Thursday
- Norma => Noon to 5:00pm, Monday to Thursday
Spirit West United Church
7003 - 199st.NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8
phone: (780) 481-1406