Sunday, February 19, 2023 – Transfiguration Sunday
Blessings to you from Spirit West United Church
Today I want to talk about the in-between places. God made the dry land and God made the sea. God made day and God made night, yet one of the most holy places and times seems to be the beach at sunset.
Our scripture this week is the story of Jesus Peter, James and John going up the mountain, where Jesus shines brilliantly, they have a vision of Elijah and Moses, the disciples offer to build tents for them all (an in-tents experience). And they hear God’s voice. Matthew 17:1-9 You could also read Exodus 24:12-18 for another holy encounter, but it won’t be in the service.
Jesus straddles the two parts of his holy scriptures, the law (Moses) and the prophets (Elijah). Jesus expresses humanity and divinity. Transfiguration is a time of both/and, not either/or thinking. This Sunday marks the turning point after the season of Epiphany – the time of hearing and answering the call of Christ, and Lent, when we follow him into ever more dangerous territory towards the cross. The season of Lent helps us to prepare for the mystery of Easter – that Jesus died yet lives amongst us today. It’s a big mystery and it takes a lot of time to prepare for it.
Sometimes the in-between places are amazing and holy and we want to stay there. Sometimes they are like the stretch between Lloydminster and Edmonton when you just want to get home. (No offence to Vegreville and Vermillion intended) Right now our congregation is in a tough in-between place, and the temptation can be to try to get through it as fast as possible, but I believe we are called to wait for God and the holy moments that may arise to make clear what the path before us could possibly be. Heck, maybe there’s even a giant Easter Egg.
Upcoming – I will be offering faith exploration classes both Sunday after church and Wednesday at 2, so please consider if you are ready to ask hard questions about your faith and explore responses together.
(Rev) Eli Carter-Morgan (they/them)
Spirit West United Church
Proud to share the land through Treaty 6
Faith Exploration - Explore big questions – What do we mean when we say God, Who was/is Jesus and how does he matter? What is the Bible and how should it influence us? What are your big questions? The Study Group open to anyone wherever you are on your faith journey. This can lead to Confirmation or Re-Affirmation of faith. Please Let Eli know if you are interested.
Tentative Schedule - after Church/Lunch on Sunday and on Wednesday afternoons at 2pm
- March 5, 8 – God
- March 15, 19 – Jesus
- March 22, 26 – The Spirit and the Church
- March 29, April 2 – Live with respect in Creation
- April 12, 16 – Seek Justice, Resist Evil
- April 19, 23 – Life, Death, Life beyond Death
DATES TO REMEMBER:
- Board Meeting – Feb 22, 7pm via ZOOM
- Annual Congregational Budget Meeting – Feb 26 after the worship service
- Annual Congregational Meeting – Mar 12 after the worship service
EVENTS Happening in the CHURCH BUILDING Feb 20 to 25, 2023
- Mon, Feb 20 – office closed for Family Day
- Tues, Feb 21, 6-7pm – set up for Church of Christ service
- Wed, Feb 22, 7-10pm – Church of Christ service
- Thurs, Feb 23, 7-8:30pm – choir practice 7-8:30pm
- Fri, Feb 241, 6-7pm – set up for Church of Christ service
- Sat, Feb 25, 7-10pm – Church of Christ service
LEADERS FOR Feb 19
- Hospitality Team – Sather – Ramona, Colleen, Isobel
- Scripture Reader – Bill C
- Projectionist – Bruce C
LEADERS FOR Feb 26
- Hospitality Team – Callas – Bill & Carol, Gerry & Sue
- Scripture Reader – Rhea Olson
- Projectionist – Terri-Lynn Hyland
WOMEN’S GROUP LUNCH AND ANNUAL MEETING
The annual Women’s Group Lunch and AGM is being planned now. It will be held near the end of March, either March 18 or March 25. More information will be coming soon!
CONGREGATIONAL MEETINGS – Feb 26 and Mar 12
There will be a Congregational Budget Meeting following the Service on Sun, Feb 26. At this time we will review and approve the 2023 budget for Spirit West. Then there will be a Congregation Meeting following the Service on Sun, Mar 12 to review, through the Annual Reports, the mission and ministry of the Spirit West in 2022. We will also make such decisions as will determine our vision for the Congregation in 2023. You attendance and input at both these meetings is greatly desired.
I NEED A GOOD HOME
The ficus (weeping fig) tree in our lounge is not doing well. It doesn’t get enough sunlight there. The tree is over 5” tall. If you are able to give it a good home, please feel free to come and take it.
YouTube Videos Worship Services – February 26 – also, in person worship service
To watch online, you will need to go to YouTube and google “Spirit West United Church”. This action will bring you to the Spirit West United Church YouTube page.
SPIRIT WEST PRAYER CHAIN
Prayer is important. We know that people face challenges and difficulties and we cannot forget them. Our Prayer Chain continues to be active. If you have a prayer request, please send it to email@example.com. These requests will be shared regularly with the prayer chain and may form part of the Prayers of the People in our Sunday Worship.
Please remember to have people removed from the prayer chain if the prayers are no longer needed.
YOUR BOTTLES FOR THE CHURCH
You may have bottles piling up for recycling. You can bring them to the church (or you can call for pick up). If you want to bring your bottles (and any other recyclable beverage containers) in during our office hours and put them directly in the Bottle Shed (by the garage), give us a call, and we can have the shed open for you. All money raised from the return of bottles goes towards paying down the principal and interest on our mortgage.
- We can accept donations by eTransfer. The contact name for the eTransfer is Spirit West United Church, and the email address is firstname.lastname@example.org . If you include a security question with your eTransfer, please notify Norma at the church office by phone or email of the answer.
- And remember that if you are not on PAR(Pre-Authorized Remittance) or even if you are , you can mail in cheques to the church office (Spirit West United Church, 7003 – 199 St. NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8, include your envelope number if you have one.)
- You can drop off your offering/donation in the offering plate just inside the front doors or place it in the mailbox.
- You can also donate online by checking out the online donation option on our website spiritwest.org and click on the Donate tab in the navigation bar.
SPIRIT WEST ONLINE!
Facebook: Spirit West United Church and Friends of Spirit West Outreach
YouTube: Spirt West United Church, Edmonton
Office Hours for February 13 to 25, 2023
Norma => office closed Mon, Feb 20 for Family Day
Wed => noon to 5pm
Tues & Thurs – 9am to 2pm
Eli => Eli will be working Tuesday to Thursday and Saturday this week. They will be taking some Fridays off as Study leave this winter to do an online course on adaptive leadership. They are happy to discuss both the course itself and the impact on working days.
- Please let Eli know if there is anyone you think they should call or visit.
- Eli is trying to get to know members of the congregation and they would love to meet with you in your homes, their office, or a favourite coffee shop. They are hoping to meet with a few people each week.
Spirit West United Church
7003 - 199st.NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8
phone: (780) 481-1406