Sadly, this is the last weekly message I will write to Spirit West United Church. I am in the process of handing responsibilities back to you, the people of Spirit West. I am returning control of social media accounts this afternoon. At children’s time on Sunday I will ask the children to help me return the symbols of the covenant that we have shared.
You are facing a difficult time and I regret that I cannot face it with you, but I do want to remind you that you have what you need to face these challenges. Spirit West United Church has been blessed by God with many talented people with a vast array of skills. By working together and listening to each other and the Spirit you can figure out a good path for this community of faith to follow.
It is an exciting time for Spirit West when many options will come before you, and choices made in the next few months can influence ministry in the West end of Edmonton for years to come. Although you may get some support from the Northern Spirit Region of the United Church, the choices are yours to make. You will have the opportunity to choose a direction, make a plan and achieve the goals that emerge from your midst by the power of the Holy Spirit working in all of you, who can do infinitely more than you can ask or imagine.
This Sunday’s scriptures include Jesus empowering twelve disciples to do the same sorts of things he was doing – proclaiming that the Kingdom of God is at hand, healing, feeding and helping. So too is Spirit West empowered to do your work by the very same Spirit. (Matthew 9:25-10:8)
St. Paul wrote to the church at Rome about how sometimes God can transform our suffering that comes from following the way of Jesus can lead us into hope. We are also reminded that God’s love and support of us is not based on what we have done, or what we possess, but comes as a free gift. Jesus was put to death for standing up for us before we understood or accepted his realm in our midst. (Romans 5:1-8)
May the God of hope fill you with joy and peace in believing, confident in the love of God for us all.
(Rev) Eli Carter-Morgan (they/them)
Spirit West United Church
Proud to share the land through Treaty 6
Congregational Meeting re FINANCIAL DIFFICULTIES- Sunday, June 25 – At the Congregational Meeting on June 14, we received an update on the additional information that we are pursuing. Therefore the meeting on June 25th will used to update the congregation. The vote on the direction of Spirit West will be held at a later date.
FLOWER BASKETS – we are going to have blossoms beautifying the front porch of the church again this summer. This is a wonderful place for plants to grow. However, they do need to be watered. We are hoping that someone will consider giving them a good drink once or twice a week in JULY or AUGUST depending on the weather. If you could do this, please sign up on the sheet at the back or call or email Norma at the church office.
LEADERS for June 18
- Hospitality Team – Ludlow – Diane L, Norma B, Carol & Bruce S
- Scripture Reader – Sheila H
- Projectionist – Norma B
LEADERS for June 25
- Hospitality Team – Doyle – Don & Daphne, Dave & Cathy, Tony
- Scripture Reader – Bob H
- Projectionist – Terri-Lynn & Sara
DATES TO REMEMBER
- Congregational Meeting – Sun, June 25
EVENTS Happening in the CHURCH – June 19-24
- Mon, 6:15-8:00pm - Embers
- Tues, 6-7pm – set up for Church of Christ service
- Wed, 6-9pm – Church of Christ service
- Fri, 6-9pm - set up for Church of Christ service
- Sat, 7am - noon – Church of Christ service
- Sat, noon - 4pm – Celebration of Life of Adele Wilde
- Community & Connection – 2SLGBTQ1A+ and Advocacy Conference, June 22-24, Robertson-Wesley UC, 10209-123 St. Bringing together those who do work in the 2SLGBTQIA+ community to share their challenges and experiences with each other and the greater community. More information at www.communityandconnection.com
SPIRIT WEST PRAYER CHAIN
Prayer is important. We know that people face challenges and difficulties and we cannot forget them. Our Prayer Chain continues to be active. If you have a prayer request, please send it to email@example.com. These requests will be shared regularly with the prayer chain and may form part of the Prayers of the People in our Sunday Worship.
Please remember to have people removed from the prayer chain if the prayers are no longer needed.
YOUR BOTTLES FOR THE CHURCH
You may have bottles piling up for recycling. You can bring them to the church (or you can call for pick up). If you want to bring your bottles (and any other recyclable beverage containers) in during our office hours and put them directly in the Bottle Shed (by the garage), give us a call, and we can have the shed open for you. All money raised from the return of bottles goes towards paying down the principal and interest on our mortgage.
- PAR - Pre-Authorized Remittance is a direct debit program run by the United Church of Canada. It allows people to support their church through an automatic monthly withdrawal from their bank account. It follows the giver's wishes (give to local, M&S, etc.). If you wish to go on PAR, please the fill out the form on the literature carousel and give the form and a cheque marked “void” to the church office. We will do the rest! If you wish to change your PAR amount, contact the office and we will make the change for you.
- We can accept donations by eTransfer. The contact name for the eTransfer is Spirit West United Church, and the email address is firstname.lastname@example.org . If you include a security question with your eTransfer, please notify Norma at the church office by phone or email of the answer.
- And remember that if you are not on PAR(Pre-Authorized Remittance) or even if you are , you can mail in cheques to the church office (Spirit West United Church, 7003 – 199 St. NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8, include your envelope number if you have one.)
- You can drop off your offering/donation in the offering plate just inside the front doors or place it in the mailbox.
- You can also donate online by checking out the online donation option on our website spiritwest.org and click on the Donate tab in the navigation bar.
SPIRIT WEST ONLINE!
Facebook: Spirit West United Church and Friends of Spirit West Outreach
YouTube: Spirt West United Church, Edmonton
Spirit West United Church
7003 - 199st.NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8
phone: (780) 481-1406