Greetings and Blessings in Christ who is our living water.
I, Eli, am not in a meeting and do not need your help with something right away. Someone is pretending to be me. Please ignore, block and or report this scam if it comes to you, at least two people have been targeted. If you are a victim of this crime, contact the police.
This week we are looking at two stories about thirstiness. Our Hebrew Scriptures are a story of the people who have escaped slavery travelling across the desert. They have no water and start complaining. Moses gets irritated, but God provides miraculous water from a rock. (Exodus 17)
With the children we will talk about Jesus in John 4. Jesus has travelled a long way in a hot arid climate and meets a forbidden outcast stranger. She gives him water, he elevates her as an apostle to the Samaritans, giving her the living water of new perspectives.
What is the sustaining living water that we need, so that we, like the woman at the well don’t need to keep coming back for more, but the Spirit of Christ rises up within us.
We are looking for what rocks to hit with which stick for living water to flow.
Jesus understands our struggles and our thirst. May we reach deep within and find the living water of the Spirit of Christ rising up within and between us.
(Rev) Eli Carter-Morgan (they/them)
Spirit West United Church
Proud to share the land through Treaty 6
Faith Exploration - Explore big questions – What do we mean when we say God, Who was/is Jesus and how does he matter? What is the Bible and how should it influence us? What are your big questions? The Study Group open to anyone wherever you are on your faith journey. This can lead to Confirmation or Re-Affirmation of faith. Please Let Eli know if you are interested.
Schedule - after Church/Lunch on Sunday and on Wednesday afternoons at 2pm
- March 15, 19 – Jesus
- March 22, 26 – The Spirit and the Church
- March 29, April 2 – Live with respect in Creation
- April 12, 16 – Seek Justice, Resist Evil
- April 19, 23 – Life, Death, Life beyond Death
MEN’S BREAKFAST, 8:30 AM. Sat, March 18
Gather with other men of the congregation in the Lower Hall for fellowship and a breakfast of pancakes, sausages and eggs. Come a few minutes early and help cook if you would like. All men welcome!
WOMEN’S GROUP LUNCH and ANNUAL MEETING
The Spirit West Women’s lunch and annual meeting will be held on Saturday, March 18 at 11:30am at the Boston Pizza at 17002 – 90 ave. Access is easy and there is plenty of parking. Please sign up on the sheet by the office or call the church office at 780-481-1406.
CONGREGATIONAL MEETING – Mar 12
There will be a Congregation Meeting following the Service on Sun, Mar 12 to review, through the Annual Reports, the mission and ministry of the Spirit West in 2022. We will also make such decisions as will determine our vision for the Congregation in 2023. You attendance and input at both these meetings is greatly desired.
DATES TO REMEMBER:
- Daylight Savings Time begins – spring ahead 1 hour – 2am, Sun, March 12
- Congregational Meeting – Sun, Mar 12 after the worship service
- Women’s Group Lunch and AGM – 11:30 am, Sat, March 18
- Men’s Breakfast – 8:30am, Sat, March 18
- Board Meeting – 7pm, Wed, Mar 22 via ZOOM
EVENTS Happening in the CHURCH BUILDING March 13 to 18, 2023
- Mon, March 13 – 6-8pm – Embers (Brownies)
- Tues, March 14, 6-7pm – set up for Church of Christ service (assuming the church is not rented to another group)
- Wed, March 15, 2pm – Faith Exploration - Jesus
- Wed, March 15, 7-10pm – Church of Christ service
- Thurs, March 16, 7-8:30pm – choir practice 7-8:30pm
- Fri, March 17, 6-7pm – set up for Church of Christ service (assuming the church is not rented to another group)
- Sat, March 18, 7-10pm – Church of Christ service
- Sat, March 18, 8:30 am - Men’s Breakfast
LEADERS for March 12
- Hospitality Team – Ludlow – Diane, Norma, Carol & Bruce
- Scripture Reader – Sheila Hoy
- Projectionist – Rebecca W
LEADERS for March 19
- Hospitality Team – Hemmerling – Georgina, Doreen, Rhea, Glenna
- Scripture Reader – Bill C
- Projectionist – Norma B
YouTube Videos Worship Services – March 12 – also, in person worship service
To watch online, you will need to go to YouTube and google “Spirit West United Church”.
This action will bring you to the Spirit West United Church YouTube page.
SPIRIT WEST PRAYER CHAIN
Prayer is important. We know that people face challenges and difficulties and we cannot forget them. Our Prayer Chain continues to be active. If you have a prayer request, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. These requests will be shared regularly with the prayer chain and may form part of the Prayers of the People in our Sunday Worship.
Please remember to have people removed from the prayer chain if the prayers are no longer needed.
YOUR BOTTLES FOR THE CHURCH
You may have bottles piling up for recycling. You can bring them to the church (or you can call for pick up). If you want to bring your bottles (and any other recyclable beverage containers) in during our office hours and put them directly in the Bottle Shed (by the garage), give us a call, and we can have the shed open for you. All money raised from the return of bottles goes towards paying down the principal and interest on our mortgage.
- We can accept donations by eTransfer. The contact name for the eTransfer is Spirit West United Church, and the email address is email@example.com . If you include a security question with your eTransfer, please notify Norma at the church office by phone or email of the answer.
- And remember that if you are not on PAR(Pre-Authorized Remittance) or even if you are , you can mail in cheques to the church office (Spirit West United Church, 7003 – 199 St. NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8, include your envelope number if you have one.)
- You can drop off your offering/donation in the offering plate just inside the front doors or place it in the mailbox.
- You can also donate online by checking out the online donation option on our website spiritwest.org and click on the Donate tab in the navigation bar.
SPIRIT WEST ONLINE!
Facebook: Spirit West United Church and Friends of Spirit West Outreach
YouTube: Spirt West United Church, Edmonton
Spirit West United Church
7003 - 199st.NW Edmonton, AB T5T 3A8
phone: (780) 481-1406